SOCIAL VOLUNTEER PROGRAM IN CHIAPAS
In this program you will discover the natural and colonial wonders of the state of Chiapas. You will have authentic interaction with the local inhabitants of the Tzotzil communities and make a positive difference through a social volunteer program in the Chiapas Highlands.
Project: Social work
Activities: Community development
Duration: 1 to 12 weeks
Minimum age: 18 years old
Costs: 690 USD
Live the millenary culture and hospitality in secluded regions untouched by tourists. In the Chiapas Highlands, Spanish is spoken as a second language and the community members’ way of life is very different to ours and based on a radically different worldview.
This trip will make an impact on you the traveller and on the development of the local community through cultural exchange, cohabitation and team work.
We guarantee you’ll love it!
The volunteer service will be coordinated by the Nomad Republic team and CCORZOSS S.C (Consultoría y Capacitación a Organizaciones Rurales de la Zona Sur Sureste / Consultancy and Training of Rural Organizations of the Southeast South Area.), a linked organization that counts with more than 15 years of experience in social and economic development inside the communities in Chiapas.
The organization mainly focuses on collaborating with the rural population and several ethnic groups, strengthening the productive activities from the economic and social development. The goal is made up in strengthening the rural population and ethnic groups through social and cultural support. Likewise, it’s also promoting the participation of the population in actions that benefit the community and the development of VOLUNTARY SERVICE IN CHIAPAS’ economic activities with agricultural and social orientation to improve their conditions and life quality.
Activities take place following a participatory intervention model through experience-based techniques. The knowledge is taught in an interactive way through group dynamics, interviews, workshops, role playing, feedback sessions, talks, group orientation, among others. Previous to the activities, there’s training about the program and activities to do. The programs in process are focused in the promotion of local economy through support and cooperatives of horticulturists, coffee-growers and craftwork.
The volunteers participate in the making and maintaining of different crops or handmade knitting as well as in the creation of the business infrastructure and the marketing of them. We have collaborated with different local ethnic groups in productive activities in the practice and development of coffee growing, crafting, production of crops, fruits, ornamentals and the forestry practice. We contribute to the preservation of native cultures through the accompaniment and tracking of every activity.
- Tourist bus in San Cristóbal de las Casas ($90 MXN per person)
- Subterranean river El Chorreadero ($1215 MXN per person)
- Trekking in indigenous communities ($453 MXN per person)
- Ziplining in El Encuentro National Park ($680 MXN per person)
- Toniná ruins (8am to 5pm / 2 hours and 30 minutes – 107 km/$65 MXN + transport)
- Palenque ruins (8am to 4:30pm / 4 hours and 20 minutes – 213 km/$40 MXN + transport) Agua Azul waterfalls (8am to 6pm / 3 hours and 30 minutes – 158km/ $40 MXN per person + transport)
- San Juan Chamula village (approximately $195 MXN tour/pax / 25 minutes – 11km)
- Montebello lakes (approx. $300 MXN tour/pax / 3 hours – 150 km)
- Bonampak ruins (9am to 6pm / 2 hours and 5 minutes – 85 km / $45 MXN + transport)
REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE
You must be in good physical condition, have a valid passport and be insured. All foreigners need a valid visa if required. Your level of Spanish should be intermediate. There are no vaccines needed for a trip to Chiapas. You will have an interview before departure with MexiKans staff so we can get to know you and answer any questions you might have.
LODGING IN SAN CRISTÓBAL DE LAS CASAS
You will stay at Snail B&B. Services: Wifi, breakfast, 24 hour reception. Address: Ejército Nacional 2, San Cristóbal de las Casas Centro, 29200, San Cristóbal de las Casas, CHIS, Mexico / Tel. 01 967 674 0997.
All lodging takes place in hostals, which are accommodations that have a “community spirit” and where everything is centered around people meeting each other in its common spaces. All rooms and bathrooms are shared with other program members and guest
THIS PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- Support from a coordinator during the whole program.
- All long transfers by transport of the organization.
- Pick-up and drop-off at the international airport of Tuxtla Gutiérrez.
- 7 nights lodging in a shared room in a hostel in San Cristóbal de las Casas.
- 5 days of Ccorzos-Nomad Republic volunteering.
- Food during the volunteer program.
- A donation in support of the community.
- Guidance and briefings in each place we visit.
- Information before departure.
THE PROGRAM DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Personal expenses.
- Services not specified.
- Travel insurance.
- Visa (needed).
- Foods not specified.
- Transfers not specified.
- Optional activities.